Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Plant Babies


My house looks like a greenhouse! (if you have been following my blog you know my real greenhouse was twisted by the wind into unusable pieces  during the winter) With this slow emerging spring it is pretty nice to be surrounded by all my plant babies.  That is what I call them.  They are such a sweet bunch right now.  All fresh and green and tender.  I like to coo at them and tell them how wonderful they are right now.  Before I know it, though, I will have to let them go into the big wide world full of insects and disease.  I will still care for them, of course.  I will do my best to give them a good start but they will pretty much be on their own.  So I will enjoy this special time of closeness and wonder to it's fullest!  By the way, have mentioned......my son made his college choice this week?  ah-me

The Seedling

AS a quiet little seedling
Lay within its darksome bed,
To itself it fell a-talking,
And this is what it said:

'I am not so very robust,
But I'll do the best I can;'
And the seedling from that moment
Its work of life began.

So it pushed a little leaflet
Up into the light of day,
To examine the surroundings
And show the rest the way.

The leaflet liked the prospect,
So it called its brother, Stem;
Then two other leaflets heard it,
And quickly followed them.

To be sure, the haste and hurry
Made the seedling sweat and pant;
But almost before it knew it
It found itself a plant.

The sunshine poured upon it,
And the clouds they gave a shower;
And the little plant kept growing
Till it found itself a flower.

Little folks, be like the seedling,
Always do the best you can;
Every child must share life's labor
Just as well as every man.

And the sun and showers will help you
Through the lonesome, struggling hours,
Till you raise to light and beauty
Virtue's fair, unfading flowers. 

 Every window is being put to use!


Now we will move back in time & see how these tomatoes came to BE!



 When my tomatoes become long and spindly I transplant them into saved milk cartons.  They have a month or more still to come inside...you just wait and see!

 My bench of creativity ~~~ seed planting is one thing I do here!

AP = Amish Paste ~ BK = Black Krim...my favorite tomato!


It never ceases to amaze, astound, put me into a state of awe that these tiny flakes hold all the potential for a beautiful plant filled with juicy tomatoes!

The same way I feel about my boy!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your "plant babies", and you've got so many of them!
    It's an awesome idea to use milk cartons. I will try to remember to save some for next spring!

    ReplyDelete