Sunday, February 24, 2013

~~~Gratitude~~~



Robert Lax


Robert Lax is the most influential poet in my life at this time.  I am so grateful that I discovered the work of this poet a couple of years ago.  Much of what I consider my art work, at this time, is inspired by Lax's poems and life.  Here is a mobile I recently created...coming to my Etsy shop soon.....


Robert Lax (1915-2000), 
a little known American abstract 
minimalist 
poet and 
spiritual hermit was the inspiration for this 
Mix Media Mobile.  Much of Lax’s poetry was written in a 
vertical fashion.  His idea was to slow down the reader. I love 
the blank space around the words and the feeling of openness 
created by his style.  This poem is #27 from 
A Thing That Is 
(1997).  The  six panels 
represent   the same spacing Lax used for 
this poem.  I made the poem spin in order to further slow the 
reading. The mirrors are there to remind us to look within, 
something I feel Lax spent most of his life doing.



Lax may be best know for his friendship with the Trappist 
Monk, Thomas Merton.  Though, I wish he could be known 
more for his own works.  Lax wrote many poems but was not 
well published in the US.  I love his writings and hope to bring 
more of his wonderful poems to light through my art work.



This is a collaborative piece.  
The text on the fabric was letter 
pressed at A Revolutionary Press
by John Vincent of Harborside ME





The Mix:  

Letter Pressed Light Block Cotton Fabric, 
Wool Batting, 
Sparkly 
Nylon Tulle, 
Vintage Mirrors, 
Quartz Crystal Chips, 
Rainbow 
Moonstones, 
Austrian Crystal, 
Fishing Swivels, 
and Thread 



Created by debOrah of Freedom, Maine 

www.injoyemporium.esty.com










Here Are Some Robert Lax Links





It is my intention, each Sunday, to share something that fills me with Gratitude. 
I write ~~~Gratitude~~~ with the wavy lines to represent the gratitude ENERGY~~~~~! 
I hope you will join me and share your gratitude moments. 
~~~Amen, Blessed Be, Namaste'~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment