Sunday, July 20, 2014

~~~Gratitude~~~ Zen & the Art of Beetle Plucking


Ahhh, to have the life of a cat...I could really use a nap right now. By the time, I have time it is too late in the day and still allowing for a good nights sleep.  I am sipping Earl Grey so I can write to you all right now.  I appreciate you readers.  I actually have a number of blogs started and a long list of topics I want to share.  It is not writer block that causes me to neglect you all, it plain too much to do!  A yawn and a stretch, now for the latest news.

Vern's favorite nap place in the blueberry patch!


What occupies a lot of my time, lately, is beetles!  We are overrun with Japanese Beetles.  It is hard for me to imagine where they all come from.  On Friday I collected beetles 3 times!  They are on all my berries and my Hazelnut trees.  I turn and there are beetles.  I take off my garden clogs and there are beetles.  I brush my hair and beetles come flying out.  It is enough to make me scream or cry.  But I just take a breath and keep plucking.  This next photo may not appeal to the bug squeamish...JUST be GLAD it isn't video!


I collect beetles so I can have....


I can't keep collecting 3 times a day or I will not get anything else done and I might go crazy!  So I netted my berries and have resigned my Self to collecting once a day and let come what may.  There are really no organic controls for theses buggers.  You see the traps they are not attracting more to my home the are just helping me collect.  We are fairly isolated so the beetles are propagating here.  Gratefully, just a few 100 yards from the house in the big gardens the beetles are few there.



By netting the beetles are easier to collect and they cannot damage the plants as much.  I use craft grade nylon tulle that I buy from Joann's Fabric when it is on sale for half price. I can usually get 3 years use from the netting.  I didn't net last year and my raspberries really suffered.  I have the calendar marked for next year to net before the beetles emerge which was July 9th this year and the 10th last.


What keeps me sane is knowing I am collecting "free" duck food.  I never tire of watch my beauties gobble up beetles!




If anyone out there has any magical mystery cures for beetles, PLEASE, let me know!  I know about milky spore for the lawn.  It is pricey and those who know more than I have informed me it won't winter over in Maine.  

My Zen practice, right NOW, is to pluck beetles without attachment & cleanse my mind each night -- so I can sleep without beetle nightmares -- by creating Rock Relations for my InJoyGatherings shop ~~~ and the beetle beat goes on ~~~

~~~
It is my intention, each week, to share something that fills me with Gratitude. 
I write ~~~Gratitude~~~ with the wavy lines to represent the gratitude ENERGY~~~~~! 
I hope you will join me and share your gratitude moments. 
~~~Amen, Blessed Be, Namaste'~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment