Tuesday, January 14, 2014

***Tuesday's Tip***

A rainy day here in Maine.  Ice eating rain! :)  No photos from outside, I didn't want to get my camera wet.  Thought it was high time I shared a recipe!  I made this last night and there is a story, of course.  Technically the recipe is Vegetarian "Beef" Stroganoff but we call it Beef Burger Off.  The inspiration came from the movie Seducing Dr Lewis.  In our family it is hands down the funniest movie we have ever enjoyed.  Even in French with subtitles it was a total crack up!  Here is a YouTube Trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIC5CeiKQEQ

Watching that trailer makes me smile.  The movie is about an Atlantic Canadian Island that needs to get a permanent doctor so they can have a factory built.  So the islanders do everything in there power to get Dr. Lewis to stay.  Including, making him Beef Stroganoff at the local diner even though it isn't on the menu.  After watching the movie my guys wanted me to seduce them with Beef Stroganoff.  Well, since I don't eat or cook beef I came up with a Vegetarian alternative.  It is a mainstay fav in our house.  Let me know what you think!


4 cups of Sliced Portobello Mushrooms  


2 cups of Chopped Onion & 1 Head of Garlic


Saute in a couple of Tablespoons of Olive Oil


Season with a heaping Tablespoon of Vegetarian Beef Broth 



A Tablespoon each of Braggs & Worcester Sauce


Add 2 cups of TVP ~ Textured Vegetable Protein


Saute that for a few minutes 
Then add HOT water to just barely cover the ingredients.


Let that simmer for 20 or 30 minutes


While Burger-off is simmering I heat up water to cook the noodles


Originally, I used sour cream but, one day when we wanted this recipe I had none on hand so I substituted plain yogurt.  We like it better that way and I always have yogurt on hand!


So when the noodles are ready I add 2 cups of plain yogurt
Reheat while stirring so the yogurt won't scorch


This dish may not be pretty but it is delicious!


Especially, paired with a nice green salad!
(homegrown carrots from the cold room & homegrown dried tomatoes)

Serve over noodles and pepper to taste

~Recipe Recap~

4 cups chopped mushrooms
2 cups chopped onions
1 head of garlic chopped
saute in 2 tbsp of olive oil
add
2 cups TVP
1 - 2 tbsp veggie beef broth
1 tbsp Braggs
1 tbsp worcester sauce
saute a few minutes
add HOT water to cover and let simmer
just before serving add 2 cups plain yogurt 
carefully reheat
serve over noodle of your choice
add pepper to taste

~ENJOY~

No comments:

Post a Comment