Tuesday, July 30, 2013

***Tuesday's Tip***

Today's tip has a bit of a story...a bit of a winding path...

If you have been reading my blog from the start you would know that I am in love with swimming....if I could be a mythological creature I would be a.....



mermaid....

Well, it has been a bit of a struggle for me to swim this year...actually every summer I deal with some pain from an old injury that took place back in 1981 when we built this...


Yes! that is he and me...there is a bigger story here...I will tell that at another time.  Today's tip has to do with swimming.  During the building of this cabin I lifted too many roofing shingles and hauled them up the "cliff" we lived on...the land had no flat areas...this was the best spot to build...we paid $4,500 for 10 acres of slope back then.  Anyways, on one of my shingle lifting trips I picked up a few too many and my left shoulder went ###YIKES!!!  It has never been the same.  I have seen all manner of doctors and healthcare practitioners...but no one could do anything to "cure" it. 

So I have learned to do things in a way that keeps the 'old log cabin building injury' from flaring up.  Swim stroke have been a constant bummer...until....

This photo gives you more of a feeling for the slope and height!




...I found flippers!  Recently I was bemoaning the fact that my shoulder caused me trouble while at the beach with a friend.  She suggested flippers!  They have changed my swimming loving life!!!  I don't use my arms at all and with the mask and snorkel it is even more meditative.  I do have a stronger right leg so my laps may have a bit of an arc to them...but who cares, there is no one to bump into...except occasionally a turtle...I am having so much fun!  No Pain and Gain!  I highly recommend flippers as a swimming fitness tool for the shoulder impaired!


I think it is time for a swim now!  Not sure if I should confess to this...but I am a skinny dipper...quite a look~~~mask, fins, & snorkel~~~only!  Hey, what's the point of a private pond if you have to wear a suit!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment