Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Winter "Blues"


I woke up this morning dreaming about blueberries.  At first I wondered if it was due to the fact that there was an unusual sight out my bedroom window....blue sky!  Yes! folks, a day without snow falling and temps near the 20's!  I had planned to tackle our income taxes today but it felt too much like a holiday!  I decide to change plans, an extended snowshoe was in order.  First though I decided to celebrate the day by making a blueberry crisp. (recipe at the end) Taxes can wait for a grey cloudy day...there are plenty more on the way!


Here are my blueberry bushes nearly buried by snow!

My woodstove was cranking so I bake the crisp in the cookstove oven.



 Scenes from today's wanderings~~~



 Here is where I startled the Ruffed Grouse 2 days in a row...
I had my camera ready to day...but no Grouse!

 Left a little offering of oat seeds.

Made it to the field today.  
Finally, "warm" enough to trek across without getting an ice cream headache.






Back at the house I decide to sit outside and soak up some vitamin D.


Blueberry Ginger Crisp with a Dollop of Vanilla Yogurt.

Runa enjoys the nearly empty yogurt quart.

Blueberry Ginger Crisp

4 cups frozen Organic (homegrown) Blueberries
1/2 cup Grated Fresh Ginger
1 cup of Organic Coconut Oil
3 cups of Organic Oats
1 cup Organic Brown Sugar (granulated sugar works too...just add a bit of molasses)
Cinnamon

Pre-heat Oven (or Cookstove) to 350F

Oil the bottom of a 9 inch X 9 inch pan with a little coconut oil.  Pour the Blueberries into your pan mix in grated ginger.  Sprinkle with cinnamon.  In a separate bowl cut together the Coconut Oil with the Oats and Sugar.  Cover the blueberries and ginger with the oat crumble.  Bake until the blueberries are bubbling, about 30 to 45 minutes.  Enjoy warm or cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment