Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Winter Light

 Winter solitude--
in a world of one color
the sound of wind.
Basho



This was today's light.  I tried to delay my walk in order to enjoy the sunshine that was predicted for today.  But Runa, my dog, could not wait.  Her need allowed me to experience a wonderful winter glow as the sun was making it's entrance.  It was particularly quiet today.  The wind was a low whisper.  I was in peaceful solitude, enveloped in the serene energy of the world around me. I send you a sigh of contentment.


The Cold ~~~ Wendell Berry
How exactly good it is
to know myself
in the solitude of winter,

my body containing its own
warmth, divided from all
by the cold; and to go

separate and sure
among the trees cleanly
divided, thinking of you

perfect too in your solitude,
your life withdrawn into
your own keeping

--to be clear, poised
in perfect self-suspension
toward you, as though frozen.

And having known fully the
goodness of that, it will be
good also to melt.







No comments:

Post a Comment