Sunday, December 16, 2012

~~~Gratitude~~~



I am grateful for ducks.  We have the pleasure of caring for 7 Runner Ducks.  They have been under our care for 3 1/2 years now.  We loving call then the "Cluster Ducks" or for you Star Trek Fans..."The Borg".  Ducks are less individual and more community.  They are easy to care for and provide us with wonderful eggs.  They forage like crazy for insects, slugs, and snails. But mostly, I am grateful to have them in my life to just watch.  They are delightful creatures.  They greet me each morning with a wonderful bowing dance as I let them out of their house we call "Duckingham Palace".  And yes, I bow and dance with them...sorry no video?!?!

I will write more about ducks down the road and welcome any questions from would be quack care takers.  I am still new to the blogging rhythm.  I have a lot I want to share.  It IS the busy holiday season. I just want you to know I am still here and expect to be more rhythmic once the next week or so passes.  In the meantime enjoy these few photos of my girls with some duck poetry to go along.

The Duck

Behold the duck. 
It does not cluck. 
A cluck it lacks. 
It quacks. 
It is specially fond
Of a puddle or pond. 
When it dines or sups, 
It bottoms ups. 


This poem was one of my son's favorites when he was a little guy.  We used to recite it together nearly every night for several years.  That was many years before having ducks.  Maybe, this poem gave me the ducky desire?

`Ducks' Ditty.'

All along the backwater,
Through the rushes tall,
Ducks are a-dabbling,
Up tails all!

Ducks' tails, drakes' tails,
Yellow feet a-quiver,
Yellow bills all out of sight
Busy in the river!

Slushy green undergrowth
Where the roach swim--
Here we keep our larder,
Cool and full and dim.

Everyone for what he likes!
WE like to be
Heads down, tails up,
Dabbling free!

High in the blue above
Swifts whirl and call--
WE are down a-dabbling
Up tails all!

Kenneth Grahame ~~~ Wind in the Willows

2 comments:

  1. great pictures! visiting you from the etsy top treasury team :) great blog!

    Saralyn

    www.studiomaisonblog.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And Thanks for checking me out!

    ReplyDelete