Monday, September 9, 2013

***Tuesday's Tip***



I made a wicked good cucumber pickle relish this past week!  I will share my recipe...but first...I stumbled upon the greatest idea I have had in a loooooong time.  I am very excited about it....but prepare yourself....it is unusual and a bit on the goofy side.

I make my relish with a nice quantity of my homegrown onions.  Onions are a key ingredient.  Grating my very strong Copra Onions can be quite a task...unless you really need a a good cry and even though my son just went off to college I was in no mood for tears!  I started to grate them up for the relish then the suffering began.  Tears were flowing, I had to step away to catch my breath.  I thought, I could really use a pair of goggles...then I remembered I had some!!!





My New Swim Mask and Snorkel!  They worked like a charm, not another tear was shed and the grating was finished lickety-split!  I will definitely do this again....I have a few other onion heavy recipes where this would work wonders!



ME!  VERY HAPPY!!!

MY SWEET CUCUMBER RELISH ~ mask and snorkel highly recommended!

Makes 19 - 20 half pints (I never feel making small batches is worthwhile)

So sterilize your jars ahead of time...I use the sani-cycle on my dishwasher.

12 cups grated cucumbers
5 cups grated onions
4 cups grated sweet pepper (red looks nice)
1 or 2 grated hot peppers...goggles good for this too!
3/4 cup canning salt
2 Tbsp turmeric powder
5 Tbsp dill weed
6 cups organic sugar
2 Tbsp celery seed
3 Tbsp mustard seed
6 cups apple cider vinegar

Combine grated veggies in a large non-reactive bowl (glass or stainless steel) sprinkle with the salt, turmeric, & 3 tbsp of dill weed.  Cover with cold water and 2 trays of ice. Let stand for 2 hours.

Drain Veggies thoroughly; press out the liquid.  Combine sugar, vinegar, the rest of the dill weed, celery, & mustard seeds in a large stockpot; bring to a boil.  Add drained veggies; simmer for 10 minutes.  Pack hot relish into hot jars, leaving 1/4 -inch head space.  Adjust lids.

Process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath canner.

Enjoy!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment