Wednesday, September 24, 2014

***Tuesday's Tip*** DRIED green TOMATOES!


Ah yes, remember the days of Tuesday's Tips!?  I know I am a day late by a couple of months.... well better late than never....


It is an amazing tomato year for me.  It is hard to know what to do with them all!  I have been canning and dehydrating like crazy, as well as sharing.  I have canned sauce, soup, red & green salsa.  I haven't made a count yet.  That will come at the end of the season...whenever that may be!  In the meantime I want to share with you and amazing new way to dry tomatoes... Dried Green Tomatoes with Sriracha Sauce.  It is simple and easy...which is a blessing this time of year and ever so delicious!  Almost fried green tomato-ish.  DH really loves them!


Simple Steps---> wash your green or greenish tomatoes.  The semi pink ones work here too, no need to be fussy.  I slice mine about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.  Then I add a couple drops of diluted Sriracha Hot Sauce.  I dilute it 50% water to 50% sauce.  It goes on a bit nicer and is plenty hot plus, stretches your sauce when you are doing a ton like me.  I only add a few drops to the middle so there is still a green tomato flavor.  If you spread the sauce over the whole tomato slice the sauce will overwhelms any tomato taste.  I use the Excalibur Dehydrator at 140 degrees for about 14 hours.  Bag them up or start eating them!



~Recipe~

Green tomatoes sliced to about 1/4 inch
Diluted Sriracha Sauce 50/50 with water
(of try your own favorite hot sauce)
Dry at 140 for 14 hours

That is it!  I would love to hear what you think about this recipe.


Cucumbers are great this way too...even the boyo liked them!


No comments:

Post a Comment